Area Field to Attribute
|View HTML Version||Areas2AttributeV1-2.html|
This program allows a user to populate a selected attribute with a Field Expression referencing the area, or sum of areas, of one or more objects.
Upon issuing the command syntax A2A the user is prompted to make a selection of objects for which to retrieve the area; if more than one object is selected, the cumulative area for all objects will be displayed by the resultant Field Expression.
Following object selection, the user is then prompted to select either an attributed block or an attribute in which to house the Field Expression. If the user directly selects an attribute, the attribute value will be populated with the Field Expression; if the user selects an attributed block containing more than one attribute, the program will prompt the user via a dialog interface to choose an attribute tag to be populated with the Field Expression.
An optional attribute tag parameter specified at the top of the program source code also allows the user to predefine the attribute tag that is to be populated with the Field Expression. If this parameter holds a valid string value, the program will automatically populate such attribute following selection of an attributed block containing an attribute with a matching tag name.
The Field will display the sum of the areas of the selected objects, formatted using the Field formatting code specified at the top of the program.
The field formatting code indicated at the top of the program source code (line 13) may be altered to display the area in a desired format:
(setq fmt "%lu6%qf1" ;; Field Formatting
To determine the correct formatting code to be used, perform the following steps:
- Type FIELD at the AutoCAD command-line and press ENTER to open the Field dialog.
- Select Objects from the 'Field Category' drop-down menu.
- Select Object from the 'Field Names' section.
- Select an object (with area) from the drawing by clicking the object selection button adjacent to the 'Object Type' box.
- Select the Area property from the 'Property' panel.
- Configure the formatting options as desired.
- Click OK and pick a point in the drawing to create a temporary MText Field.
- Download & load my Field Formatting Code program.
- Type fieldformat to run the program and select the temporary MText Field created earlier.
- Following a valid selection, the field formatting code will be printed to the command-line, e.g.:
- Copy the formatting code (including the quotation marks) to the program source code where noted:
- Save and load the modified program file.
Formatting code: "%lu4%ds44%th39"
(setq fmt "%lu4%ds44%th39" ;; Field Formatting
Instructions for Running
Please refer to How to Run an AutoLISP Program.